If you’re still not certain you should eat more organic food, let us help nudge you a bit more: take a look at the top five reasons you should eat organic.

  1. Your food will have more nutrients.

The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine reviewed 41 published studies that compared the nutritional value of conventionally and organically grown grains, vegetables and fruits and found that the amount of nutrients in organically grown produce is “significantly” more than in those that are conventionally grown.

How much more? The study review found that, on average, foods grown organically provide 21.1 percent more iron, 29.3 percent  more magnesium, 27 percent more vitamin C, and 13.6 percent more phosphorus.

  1. You’ll be avoiding chemicals.

More than 600 active chemicals are registered as OK to use on farms in the U.S. In addition, the average amount of chemical pesticides used per person per year is about 16 pounds! What’s more, the National Academy of Sciences has reported that 90 percent of chemicals that have been deemed OK to apply to foods haven’t been tested for their long-term health effects before being given that green light. As clincher, the FDA tests just one percent of foods for left over pesticides (residue).

  1. You’ll protect our water and soils and reduce pollution.

The chemicals, fertilizers and pesticides used in the U.S. agricultural industry contaminate the environment by poisoning water supplies and farmland fertility. Certified organic produce, meat and dairy don’t use toxic chemicals and require that farmers work responsible to manage health soil and biodiversity.

Cornell entomologist David Pimentel estimates that only about one-tenth of a percent (0.1 percent) of pesticides applied reach the pests they are targeting. The remaining 99.9 percent of pesticides are left to “move into the environment where they adversely affect public health and beneficial biota, and contaminate soil, water, and the atmosphere of the ecosystem.”

  1. You’ll avoid GMO foods.

More and more conventional farmers are growing food using genetically modified organisms (GMO). Foods that are GMO don’t need to be labeled as such in the U.S. Corn is a high GMO food and chances are high that any corn you buy, or any packaged food that contains corn is using GMO corn.  Corn is the top GMO crop in the U.S. and 88 percent of corn grown here has been genetically modified.

Organic food can’t be genetically modified in any way (it couldn’t be certified organic if it were) and so eating organic food is the only way you can be sure that you and your family aren’t eating any GMOs and/or genetically engineered food.

  1. You won’t be eating artificial hormones and antibiotics in animal products.

Millions of pounds of antibiotics are fed to our beef and dairy animals every year. Farmers routinely give their cattle growth and sex hormones in order to artificially increase the amount of milk and meat these animals produce. These hormones don’t break down, even in high heat: no matter how hot you grill that Porterhouse steak, you’re still eating those artificial hormones. Whatever the cow has eaten, you and your family are eating and drinking (dairy products).